Once you’ve created your ideal forecast in Fathom, you’re then able to integrate this (and any scenarios) into your monthly board reports and management packs to incorporate future looking data with the actuals flowing through from your source system.
We’ve outlined the additional reporting components for Fathom forecasting below.
Financial Trends Tables
The Financial Trends tables in Fathom have been outfitted with additional capabilities for reporting on your main forecast and scenarios. You can add a table showing up to 12 months of actuals, forecast (main or scenarios), or budget data to a report. You can also combine up to 12 months of your actuals and your forecast or your actuals and your budget in a Financial Trends table.
To add forecast or budget values to a financial trends table from within a Fathom report:
- Hover over the table and click on the green ‘Pencil’ icon in the upper right corner of the table
- In the ‘Columns’ section of the ‘Properties’ menu that opens, select to show ‘Actuals’, ‘Forecast’, or ‘Budget’. If you chose ‘Forecast’, you can choose between your main forecast or your scenarios in the ‘Projection’ drop down. If you chose ‘Budget’, you can choose the Current, Next, or 3rd financial year of your budget if the budget data have been imported into Fathom in ‘Step 1 - Update Data’.
- To show actuals and forecast or actuals and budget values in the same trends table, you’ll need to select ‘Actuals’ and then choose the forecast/scenario/budget in the ‘Projection’ drop down menu.
❗Note: To add a financial trends table to a report, the section page orientation must be in landscape mode. To change from portrait to landscape mode, hover over the section title and the option will appear on the right.
💡Pro Tip: If you check the ‘Allow report viewers to export to Excel’ option in the table’s ‘Properties’ menu, then anyone viewing the report will be able to download the table to Excel.
Several new tables have also been added to Fathom reports specifically for reporting on your forecast, microforecasts, and assumptions you’ve made when building your forecast.
To access these new tables:
- Select ‘Tables and Financials’ in the left-side navigation bar in a Fathom report.
- Click on the second bolded word option at the top of the menu that opens.
- Choose ‘Forecasting from the drop down menu.
Here you can:
- Add a ‘This Year’ table or ‘Next Year’ table to your report to show this year’s or next year’s forecast of a specific account from your P&L or Balance Sheet.
- Pull in an ‘Assumptions’ table for the financial year that covers the value and timing profile assumptions and any assumptions notes you created within your forecast. You can also show a tax summary.
- Insert a table of your ‘Drivers’ grid that contains all your drivers, and the results that you have entered. This is great for auditing the driver based formulas you are using in forecasts, and let report readers know about the non-financial metrics that underpin the forecast values.
- Select to import the ‘Balance Sheet layer detail’ which allows you to select a balance sheet account and a financial year and view the opening balance, any movements within the account, and the closing account for each month.
- Add a ‘Microforecast table’, which allows you to select a microforecast and view all of the financial impacts of that microforecast for a selected date range. You can select the following date ranges from the drop down.
From the ‘Charts’ area of the content library, use the bolded filter to navigate to the ‘Forecasting’ options.
Here you can select to include your Business Roadmap in your reports. You can select the roadmap for your main forecast or for your scenario views.
Once added you can hover over the chart and click the green ‘Pencil’ icon in the upper right corner of the chart to open the ‘Properties’ menu. From this menu, you can filter the chart to view only one of your categories on the Business roadmap and select the date range to view.
There are two additional options which allows you to highlight the current period with a light gray, and show the primary quick metric set up in your forecast.
❗Note: To change the primary metric displaying on the Business Roadmap, you’ll need to edit your Quick Metrics bar in the ‘Forecast’ section of Fathom.
❗Note: To change the colors of the microforecast bars in the Business Roadmap chart, you’ll need to edit the microforecast categories in the ‘Forecast’ section of Fathom.
In addition to the new Business Roadmap chart, some of the existing Trend Charts in Fathom reporting have been given new capabilities for forecast reporting.
Once you have added a trend chart from the ‘Charts’ section of the content library, you can edit the chart to display a projection of your forecast or one of your scenarios.
To add a forecast projection to a trend chart:
- Hover over the chart and click the green ‘Pencil’ icon in the upper right corner of the chart
- In the ‘Properties’ menu that opens, click the ‘three dot’ icon next to the metric you want to show a projection for
- From the drop down menu, choose ‘Advanced settings’
- Scroll down to the ‘Projection’ section and check the box to ‘Show a future projection’
- Select ‘Forecast’
- From the drop down menu, choose to display the metric’s projected trend for your main forecast or one of your scenarios