The Fathom Desktop Connector is a small application which downloads via your web browser from within the Fathom app. You can run this file each time you need to import/update QuickBooks Desktop company data in Fathom.
❗Note: The Desktop Connector must be in the same location as the QuickBooks file.
- If the QuickBooks file is on a server, the Desktop Connector must be installed on the server.
- If the QuickBooks file is on your desktop, the connector can be run locally.
If you are using the Desktop Connector to import QuickBooks Desktop files which sit in a hosted or server environment, issues can arise from the server not 'allowing' the Connector to run or access files in that environment. If an error message appears, saying "Fathom could not access the QuickBooks file on the 'XYZ' server" then you are likely running into this issue.
Unfortunately, we cannot provide specific instructions on how to ‘allow’ the Fathom Desktop Connector in your specific environment, as these settings can vary widely across servers. We recommend getting in touch with your network administrator to see if they are able to allow the Fathom Desktop Connector to run in your environment.
Common Hosted Environments
Windows Terminal Server
The Connector uses Microsoft ClickOnce technology which is only supported in the most recent versions of Windows Terminal Server.
According to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article, ClickOnce is not supported on Windows Terminal Servers including 2003, 2003 R2, 2008 & 2008 R2.
However Windows Terminal Server 2012 R2 has introduced support for ClickOnce. While the Fathom Desktop Connector can't be published as a RemoteApp directly, it can now be installed and run through a web browser such as Internet Explorer which itself is published as a RemoteApp.
The following article from the Citrix Support website is a helpful resource:
If your company files are hosted on Right Networks, you will need to get in touch with their Account Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, you can contact Right Networks by phone at 888-417-4448 (United States). Select option 4 to request the Fathom app be added to your account.
If your company files are hosted on Cloud9 or InsynQ, please contact our support team at email@example.com for specific instructions on how to add the Fathom Desktop Connector in your environment.
Workaround - Bypassing server environment
If you wish to bypass the hosted environment entirely, there is a simple workaround to import in this situation:
- Move/copy the files out of the server environment and onto your local desktop
- Open your browser on your desktop, login to Fathom and launch the Fathom Desktop Connector
- Open the file in QuickBooks, ensuring that it is the only QuickBooks file currently open, and no other versions of QuickBooks are running (note: you will need to be logged into QuickBooks Desktop as a 'company admin,' 'master admin,' or ' accountant' level user to grant access)
- Click the “Add Files” button in the Desktop Connector to browse for the file you’d like to import (be sure to select the copy from your desktop)
- You may need to allow Fathom access to your QuickBooks file. When the screen below appears, choose the appropriate option and hit “continue” to grant permissions to the Fathom Desktop Connector
- Select any classes/locations you’d like to bring over with the file, and click the “Update to Fathom” button in the Connector
To update your QuickBooks Desktop company in Fathom (after its initial import), simply move/copy the QuickBooks Desktop file(s) you'd like to update out of the server and onto your local desktop, launch the Fathom Desktop Connector, and select each file you'd like to update. You can only do a first-time import with one company file opened at a time, but you may select up to 50 company files at one time for subsequent updates using the Desktop Connector.
For more information on the Fathom Desktop Connector itself, please see our Support Article: Using the Fathom Desktop Connector
If an error has occurred while you are using the desktop connector, our support team may request that you send us a 'Support Log'.
To access the support log from the desktop connector:
- Select the 'About' link on the top right.
- Select the 'Support Log' link from the About window (see below)
- This will open up the support log. Copy and Paste all the text in the log window in an email to our support team at: firstname.lastname@example.org