To state the obvious, your Fathom account contains sensitive financial data so it's important that you keep your login details as secure as possible.
Fathom takes security seriously, but it's important that you do what you can to safeguard your account as well.
If you think you’re the victim of a phishing email or fraudulent activity relating to your Fathom account, contact Fathom Support immediately.
If you think your login details are known by someone else, change them as soon as possible.
Create a strong password
You identify yourself when you enter your email address and password to gain access to your Fathom account.
First, when you log in to Fathom, check the address bar is showing the padlock symbol. This shows that your username and password will be encrypted.
To ensure your password can’t be cracked or guessed, it should be:
- More than 8 characters long
- A mixture of upper-case letters, lower-case letters, numbers and special characters
- Different from your other passwords
- Unrelated to your personal life – don’t use the name of your pet or child
To create a password that’s secure but not easily forgotten you can use a passphrase, a sequence of words that you can remember but is hard for someone else to guess.
Password managers are also very useful in letting you use multiple strong passwords. You only need to remember one password to access the manager, which securely stores all your usernames and passwords.
We recommend 1Password as an easy-to-use and secure password manager.
Don't share your password
Never let anybody else know your password, even when you need help with a problem.
- Each user in your organisation should have their own account so there's an audit trail of access and data changes.
- We'll never ask for your login details.
- If your accountant or bookkeeper needs access to your Fathom account, invite them in as a user under their own login.
Enable two-step authentication
We recommend you add an extra level of security for your Fathom login by enabling two-step authentication.
When you log in to Fathom, you enter a code generated by an app on your phone or other device, as well as your email address and password. This means that even if someone did gain knowledge of your password, they can't access your Fathom account without also having access to your authentication device.