As of 3rd September 2019, we’re excited to announce the release of Reporting 2.0 - a new and improved way for you to create reports within Fathom.
Reporting 2.0 is automatically activated for all new trialists of Fathom.
For existing Fathom users, this is available as an opt-in feature.
To activate Reporting 2.0, proceed in the top right of Fathom ‘Cog Icon > Organisation settings > Report Settings > Reporting 2.0’.
❗Note: Only Admin users will be able to activate this feature.
This guide will provide an overview of all of these new features and improvements, and how you can use these to increase speed and efficiency when creating your own customisable reports.
Table of contents
- Where to find your components
- Adding new components
- Customising the layout of components
- Bulk actions
- Adding new sections
- Duplicating sections
- Reordering sections
- Changing page orientation
- Double click to edit
- Multi-select variables in charts/tables
Using your components (text, charts, tables and layouts)
Where to find your components
In Reporting 2.0, you can find all of your components by accessing the sidebar, located on the left-hand side of the Fathom Report Editor. This has changed from the previous version, where you added components from the ‘Content Library’.
The sidebar contains tabs that allow you to select components from:
- Tables & Financials
❗Note: The components available to add to your reports have not changed.
Click on a tab to preview the respective components that you can add to your report.
💡Pro-tip! Use the new ‘Search’ feature (magnifying glass) in the sidebar to quickly search for components. Use the keyboard shortcut ‘/’ to search for components at any time.
Adding Components to your report
There are 2 ways to add the components into your reports from the sidebar.
- Clicking the component will add it to the bottom of the current section shown on screen.
Drag and drop the component into the respective section. It will automatically appear closest to where you drop the component.
Customising the layout of components
Reporting 2.0 provides new and improved ways to customise the layout of the components in your report.
You can now easily:
- Drag and drop your components within a section to quickly reposition them
- Resize your components by hovering your mouse and dragging the arrow at the far right or bottom border
❗ Note: Not all components can be resized. Only textboxes, and certain charts/graphs are able to be resized.
❗ Note: Resizing is not free form - it will automatically snap to 25%, 33%, 50%, 67%, or 100% of the page width/height.
- Duplicate your components by hovering your mouse and clicking the ‘Duplicate’ icon in the top right of the component. This will create an exact copy directly next to (or below) the original component.
- Start on a new page. Access this by hovering your mouse and clicking ‘More options (3 dot icon)’ in the top right of a component. This creates a page break in the section, which will force the component into a new page when viewing the PDF report (but not the online report).
Bulk Actions for components
Reporting 2.0 introduces bulk actions for your components. You can now select multiple components by hovering your mouse and clicking the checkbox in the top left of each component.
Once you have selected multiple components, a bulk action menu will appear at the top of the screen.
You will have options to:
- Move to a different section. This will remove the components from their current section, and add them into the new section.
- Copy to a different section. This will duplicate/copy components into the new section.
- Delete multiple components at a single time
You can view the number of components selected in the top right of the screen. You can also choose to deselect all components.
Managing the structure of your report
Reporting 2.0 gives you new ways to manage the structure of your report, by separating your report into various sections.
You can then manage all of your sections from the ‘Outline’ tab in the sidebar, located on the left hand side of the Report Editor.
In the outline tab, you are able to:
- Add new sections
- Duplicate sections
- Reorder sections
- Change page orientation
Adding new sections
There are two ways to add new sections to your report
- In the ‘Outline’ tab in the sidebar, click ‘Add section’.
- Scroll to the bottom of your report, and click ‘Add another section’.
Reporting 2.0 allows you to duplicate entire sections in your report. This will create an exact copy of the section directly below. All components within that section will be duplicated.
There are two ways to duplicate sections in your report
- In the ‘Outline’ tab in the sidebar, hover your mouse on a section and click the ‘Duplicate’ icon
- Hover over an existing section heading in your report, and click ‘More options (3 dot icon) > Duplicate section’.
In the ‘Outline’ tab in the sidebar, drag and drop sections where you want them by using the ‘Grid’ icon on the left side of any section.
The grid icon becomes available when you hover your mouse.
Changing page orientation
You can now easily switch your sections between portrait and landscape.
- In the ‘Outline’ tab, click ‘More options’ (3 dot icon) on any section. You will have the ability to switch between portrait and landscape.
- In your report, hover your mouse over a section heading. Click on the current orientation (Portrait/Landscape) to switch between the two.
Editing components in your report
Reporting 2.0 has introduced several changes that will speed up the way that you edit components in your reports.
Double click to edit
With Reporting 2.0, you can now double click anywhere on any component to immediately access the editing panel.
Multi-select variables in charts and tables
Previously, Fathom required you to select each metric one at a time in your charts, graphs, and tables. This meant that editing components with multiple variables could be a tedious process.
Reporting 2.0 introduces the ability to select multiple variables at a single time when editing your components.
This is available for:
- Trend charts - select up to 6 metrics at a time to display on a trend chart.
- Financial tables - select up to 6 comparative columns.
- Custom KPI tables - select up to 200 metrics at a single time to show as individual line items